COMMUNITY FOCUS GRANTS (RANGE $15,000-$100,000)
Updated October 30, 2020
Our competitive grants cycles are for organizations seeking funding for programs and projects that make the Richmond region the best place for children to learn, grow and thrive.
2021 Submission Timeline
|March 2021 Cycle*||June 2021 Cycle||September 2021 Cycle|
|Grant Cycle Open||Mon., November 16, 2020||Mon. February 1, 2021||Fri., April 30, 2021|
|Pre-Grant Calls||November 9, 2020 – December 11, 2020||January 25, 2021 – February 26, 2021||April 26, 2021 –
May 28, 2021
|Pre-App Questions Due||
Please submit pre-app questions at least two business days before your scheduled call with a Program Officer
|Grant Cycle Close||Fri., January 8, 2021; 5PM||Mon., March 15, 2021; 5PM||Tue., June 15, 2021; 5PM|
|Notice of Grant Decision||Early March, 2021||Early June, 2021||Early September, 2021|
*Please note: This is an extra cycle being added in 2021 to respond to the unique circumstances posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. Only non-profits that DID NOT receive grant funding in Robins Foundation’s June or September 2020 cycles are eligible to apply for the March 2021 cycle. Organizations that applied in ANY 2020 cycle and were declined are eligible for this March 2021 cycle. Organizations that DID receive grant funding must wait until their corresponding cycle in 2021 to apply (e.g. a Sept. 2020 grantee must apply in the Sept. 2021 cycle)
Please carefully review the following eligibility requirements:
- Your proposed initiative will impact youth along the education continuum.
- Your proposal is for programmatic or capacity services that will improve the life of residents within the Greater Richmond area.
- Your organization is registered in our online grants management system, SmartSimple, and your organizational profile is up-to-date. Please verify your mailing address, CEO, mission statement, and primary contact information. Use the links on the bottom of your homepage to navigate this step.
- You have spoken to a Program Officer to discuss your project PRIOR to submitting a grant application. This conversation must occur within seven (7) days of the cycle opening. To discuss your request, please submit pre-grant questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. These are located on the “Before You Apply” tab in SmartSimple or the “How to Apply FAQs” page of our website.
- Your organization does not have an “open” grant at the time of the award. This means you should only apply if your organization has not received competitive funding from Robins Foundation within the last twelve (12) months. For example,
- You have reviewed the Robins Foundation Grant Terms at the bottom of the “Useful Links” page of our website.
In order to apply for competitive funding, your first step is to submit to the Grants Manager, ONE of the following two documents. These documents can be found in the SmartSimple portal and are linked in descriptions below:
After submitting one of these forms, our Program and Grants Manager will determine eligibility and, if appropriate, direct you to schedule a 30-minute phone conversation with a Program Officer. During these calls, you will have the opportunity to discuss in further detail your organization’s ‘fit’ with our priorities, our grant process, and requirements for funding.
Grantees can receive funding once per calendar year. Our deadlines for Competitive Grants are listed above; please choose the timing that best suits your organization. Grant applications will be available one month before the submission deadline via our online grants system.
We look forward to reviewing proposals which address our program areas.
Please find a copy of our Competitive Grant proposal questions, here.